Tuesday, February 27, 2024

Boppin' to the Bedrock Beat

 As Flintstones February draws to a close, I've got one more piece of Flintstones memorabilia I'd like to share with you guys. Fred Flintstone and the drums might sound like a strange combination, but it's this pairing that's the center of this toy released by ALPS in 1962. The toy shows Fred (without any fingers) playing the drums as a member of "Fred Flintstone's Bedrock Band." Not a very creative name for a band if you ask me! The toy was battery-operated and would simulate the act of playing the drums when activated. The artwork on the box is nice, though I have to ask what's up with Fred's toes? I also love how the drumset itself has been made to fit in with the show's stone-age setting.


If this toy happens to look familiar, it's probably because it was one of the many collectibles featured in Boomerang's original bumpers. Check that particular bumper below, which interestingly enough, uses a sound clip of Henry Corden as Fred, rather than his original actor, Alan Reed. A lot of the Flintstones merch I've shared this month was showcased in these commercials as well. They went a long way in giving the channel its unique identity, and I'm sure it caused many younger viewers to become interested in these older toys. They definitely caught my attention!



No comments:

Post a Comment