Wednesday, July 24, 2024

Hanna-Barbera Salutes June Foray

 This week marks seven years since we lost the irreplaceable June Foray, arguably the greatest voice actress animation has ever had. The list of characters she's voiced is nothing short of impressive: Rocky the Flying Squirrel, Granny, Natasha Fatale, Witch Hazel, Cindy Lou Who, Spider-Man's Aunt May, Magica De Spell, and the list goes on and on. She worked with everyone from Warner Brothers to Disney for over seven decades. I'd share the great Chuck Jones quote on her, but I'm sure you've heard it at least once before.

Unfortunately, I haven't gotten to spotlight her much on this blog. I already have a little something planned for her birthday in September, but until then, check out this great cel the Hanna-Barbera folks made in tribute to her. This was done at some point in the nineties and is signed by both Bill and Joe. It features several of the characters she portrayed in the studio's shows, as well as a lovely poem celebrating her. 



I feel I should mention who's who in this piece, as even I drew a blank trying to remember some of these characters. The only ones I recognize are Grandma Cavemom from The Flintstones Kids, Granny from 2 Stupid Dogs, and Jokey Smurf. The characters to the side of Granny and the dinosaur I don't know, but they also look like characters from The Flintstones Kids. While it's a lovely tribute, the character selection could've been better. Come on, no Grandma Dynamite or Tanya? 


No comments:

Post a Comment