Thursday, August 27, 2026

Gosling Goes Gaga for Bamm-Bamm

Separated at birth?
 I have no clue as to why, but it seems like Warner Brothers has become really interested in mining the Hanna-Barbera library for feature film adaptations as of late. Last year, it was reported that the studio was working on a live-action take on The Jetsons starring Jim Carrey, which they have since confirmed for their post 2027 slate. Now, Deadline has broken the news that Ryan Gosling, currently in the middle of quite a hot streak, will be developing a live-action movie about Bamm-Bamm from The Flintstones. No, I am not kidding.

The project is the brainchild of Gosling and his producing partner, Jessie Henderson. In terms of story details, all we know at this moment is it will follow an adult Bamm-Bamm.  I'm assuming Gosling will play him, but that's merely speculation. A script hasn't even been written yet, though the pair are actively looking for a writer.

So, what do I have to say about this project? Honestly, for how little we know about it (and it's totally up in the air whether this actually happens or not), my reaction to the news is a resounding "...What"? Gosling is a good actor, a great one even, but a live-action film based on a single character from The Flintstones is a pretty weird career choice. Beyond that, I don't have much to say. It could be quite good, it could be quite bad, and it could not even happen at all. 

If this does move forward, however, it does make me wonder what that means for the animated Flintstones feature WB has been developing for sometime. For those unaware, WB's also been working on a film titled Meet the Flintstones, an animated flick that would be an origin story for the characters. Footage of that film was shown at last year's CinemaCon, but there's been little heard from it since. Would WB want two wildly different Flintstones films coming out within a few years of each other, or would one satiate their appetite? 

That's more or less all I have to say about this strange piece of news. Check back here this time next year when I share the news that Ryan Reynolds will star in a Dick Dastardly origin movie. 

No comments:

Post a Comment