Cartoon stars are definitely one of the staples of lunch box designs, and the Hanna-Barbera roster is no exception. There's been a great many releases over the years, but I think my favorite has to be this collection American Specialty Confections released in 1999. These boxes, which were labeled as "Cartoon Network Classics", contained unique candy mixes, as well as a unique design for each box. So let's go through some of these, shall we?
Starting off strong, we have a lunch box decorated with characters you don't often see in merchandise, Pixie and Dixie and Mr. Jinks. The art itself is pretty standard stock art of the guys, but it's still cool to see them in more recent merchandise. If you count 1999 as recent, that is.
Next up is Snagglepuss, whose lunch box is quite literally a star-studded one. I dig the color scheme on this one, and once again, it's a character who you don't see too often in collectables, so it's a welcome addition to the roster.
Third in this set is a Magilla Gorilla centric one. The box features artwork of Magilla, Ogee, Mr. Peebles, and the pet shop. This is also the first one to sport the aforementioned "Cartoon Network Classics" branding. I don't know why only some of these have that distinction, but it's interesting nonetheless.
Yogi Bear is an obvious character to use on a lunch box, so unsurprisingly, there was a Yogi one. I love how the color scheme here feels similar to a picnic basket, but something about Yogi's expression unnerves me. Am I alone on that?
Last but not least, here's the lunch box produced for Quick Draw McGraw. Both Quick Draw and Baba Looey are present in this design, and as far as I know, the art for them here is unique to this lunch box. Maybe it's been used elsewhere, but this is the first I've seen it.
No comments:
Post a Comment