Thursday, September 24, 2026

The Jetsons Sprint into RadioShack

 Jetsons Day was yesterday, so consider this post a little something for the occasion, albeit as it may be. Here's a collection of five distinct newspaper comics that were created for the RadioShack Jetsons promotion from the late nineties. I've shared one of these before (check it out here), but here's all of the other ones I've found since.

The first comic, titled "George Gets Static," follows George as he tosses his old phone for a digital PCS phone, not that it helps him with work any. It serves as an ad for not just the phone, but for a specific deal for it as well.


This comic is called "Astro's Phone" and advertises a 50% off deal for a clear-sound cordless telephone. I'm probably reading too much into this, but I feel this has to be the weirdest ad. "Buy our cordless phone, even your dog will love it!" Cool, I guess?


The third ad, "Nickname," shows George and Jane as they discuss the nickname George gave Mr. Spacely in his new phone. Not a very creative name, but it's an entertaining ad disregarding that.


Christmas isn't quite here, but it is the subject of this fourth comic, "Mystery Gift." Everyone in the family gets a Sprint phone here. Well, everyone except Rosie, that is. A rebate and Sprint's PCS service are also advertised here.


 This last one isn't necessarily a comic, but I felt it was worth sharing anyway. This is the inside to a small booklet found in newspapers around the time of this promotion. It shows the inside of a RadioShack, as well as many of the items you'd find for sale at one. There's also plenty of images of the Jetsons cast included for added measure.



No comments:

Post a Comment