Thursday, September 7, 2023

Video of the Week: Chatting With Don Messick

 It was 97 years ago today that the amazingly talented Don Messick, one of the most prolific and well-known performers in the world of Hanna-Barbera, was born. To celebrate his birthday, watch this interview Messick did on some sort of talk show back in the 1980s. He talks about many of his characters, from Scooby to Boo Boo to Papa Smurf, although I must admit that I wish the questions he's asked were a bit more interesting. Honestly sounds like they didn't do much in the way of preparation or research for this interview. That being said, interviews with Don aren't too common of a find, so I guess I can't be too picky. 


Speaking of Messick's TV appearances, would you believe he was interviewed on a 1995 episode of Maury Povich? According to several fan wikis, this was his last TV appearance before his retirement in 1996. Sadly, I can't find any remnants of the interview, but I did find this image of what appears to be Messick on the show's set. Has anyone happened to have ever seen or heard of this before? I for one would love to see this segment in its entirety!


Happy heavenly birthday, Don Messick. I sincerely wish the best for his family, friends, and anyone else who knew this voice-acting giant!

No comments:

Post a Comment