Thursday, December 21, 2023

Christmas Wrapping, H-B Style

Throughout this month, I've looked at various Hanna-Barbera-based Christmas decorations, like stockings, cards, and ornaments. But what of one of the more overlooked yet still important parts of the holidays, wrapping paper? Suprising nobody, there's been plenty of those based on the Hanna-Barbera characters over the years as well. Today, I will go through some of the more interesting ones, and in chronological order. First off is this one from 1965 featuring some of the earlier HB characters up in the clouds. Technically, this is intended more for birthdays than Christmas, but the art in this is so good and unique that I couldn't help but include it here.


Next up, from 1986 and 1990 respectively, here are wrapping papers based on The Flintstones Kids and Yo Yogi!. Both of these were created by Celebrations by Gibson. One of the notable things about these is that it's one of the few instances I've seen of merchandise created for the Yo Yogi! series, for whatever that's worth.




Later on, in 1994, we got another Flintstones-themed set of wrapping paper, this time based on the classic interpretations of the characters. It's got a rather nice variety of renders for the characters, some of which I hadn't seen before finding this.




In 1996, we got probably the oddest roll of wrapping paper yet. This one, featuring the Cartoon Network branding, shows off characters from Flintstones, Scooby-Doo, and Wacky Races. Info regarding this one is rare, which makes me wonder if this only existed for promotional purposes, rather than for retail release. You also have to love both variations of Fred featured on the paper.


I don't know quite when this one was released, but judging the fact it credits WB, I assume this was from either the late 90s or the early 2000s. It's a Scooby-Doo-themed roll of wrapping paper, and I'm pretty sure my family had this (or something very close) back when I was little.



These next two are from sometime in the 2000s, and both showcase a whole assortment of different Hanna-Barbera characters. I believe these were also created by Hallmark. It's a little strange that only a few characters are sporting holiday decorations, while others use the typical stock art used in most modern merchandise. Still, I can't complain too much. Both include a diverse selection of characters, and are the obvious wrapping paper of choice for any Hanna-Barbera fan!






No comments:

Post a Comment