Wednesday, May 8, 2024

Yogi Bear and Friends Call it a Night

 There's nothing better to have by your bedside than a lamp, and over the years, many Hanna-Barbera series have been represented in lamp form. Today, I'm going to showcase some of my favorites, from the bizarre to the beautiful. Let us begin with a few you've probably seen before. These are some of the very first Hanna-Barbera lamps released. Below, you'll see Huckleberry Hound, Yogi Bear, and Quick Draw McGraw. Others were produced as part of this line, but these seem to be the most common. Yogi doesn't look too far off his animated counterpart, but Huckleberry Hound and Quick Draw could use a little work. This was one of several pieces of early Huckleberry Hound merchandise to sport the infamous red color scheme, while Quick Draw looks a bit more like Dino in cowboy clothes than everyone's favorite sheriff.


Around the same time these lamps were released, the Arch Lamp Company made these headlamps for both Yogi and Huckleberry Hound. I only discovered these very recently, and I have to say, I really like these ones. Yes, the colors are still off, but they look pretty close to the characters. For 1962, I'm impressed!


Moving on to the 80s, here's a Flintstones lamp, as well as a Jetsons one. Both look pretty similar, so I imagine these were made by the same company. I could easily have made this post just about Flintstones lamps, but I decided to focus on this one for now, as it's another that many don't seem to know even exists. The Jetsons lamp is interesting if solely for the fact that it features Orbitty, a character made for the 80s episodes, but was mostly ignored in merchandise. Here, we see him asleep with both Elroy and Astro.




This next one is a really special one, and one I'd love to have in my own collection. Released in 1996, this is a lovely lamp featuring Quick Draw McGraw and Baba Looey, the former of whom appears to have gotten his behind pricked by a cactus. These sport Craig Kellman's redesigns for the characters, and I never would have imagined such designs would translate so well in 3D. Ain't it crazy to see this one compared to that first Quick Draw lamp? 750 of these were made, but I don't know where this lamp was sold. If I had to guess, I'd say the WB Studio Store, but your guess is as good as mine.



For the last lamp I'm showing in this post, I thought I'd go with what is perhaps the most obscure one. This is a lido lamp made in 2000, to help promote the launch of Cartoon Network's Boomerang. Like the Quick Draw lamp, I have no idea where this was sold, but considering there isn't a lot of info on it online, it's safe to say this is one of the rarer Hanna-Barbera lamps. The piece uses the Boomerang branding and is adorned with those memorable figurines that were featured in the channel's original bumpers. 



No comments:

Post a Comment